On the water!

After a few delays for equipment and ice on the river, our expedition left from Cap Rouge, a few kilometers west of Quebec City, on April 21st, 2017 at 9:45AM.

The whether was not ideal at 3 degrees with rain and wind gusts of up to 50 km/h but with our North Water spray deck and Kokatat dry suits for protection we were able to launch.

Once we got out of Cap Rouge, the wind was behind us for the most part but the waves were well over a meter and at times washed right over our canoe. The spray deck saved our day.

Here are a few pictures of the launch:

LRDS 7

Installing the spray deck

LRDS 3

Pre launch TVA interview

LRDS 5LRDS 1

LRDS 4b

Into the St Lawrence!!!

Click here to follow our journey on an inReach map.

Progress from Cap Rouge:

  • April 21st: 30 km, just east of Donnacona. Strong winds, large waves and rain.
  • April 22nd: 28 km, Leclercville. Rain and strong current.
  • April 23rd: 29 km, just east of Gentilly. Head winds 30 km gusting to 50 km, strong current. Sun and cloud.
  • April 24th: 31 km, mouth of Riviere Nicolet at Trois Rivieres. Great day, good weather, lots of migrating raptors and other birds. Short portage at Becancour Port
  • April 25th: 41 km, 5 km east of Sorel. Hard day but made good progress.
  • April 26th: 44 km, Verchères.
  • April 27th: 24 km, Berge des Écores in Laval. Very strong currents in rivière des Prairies but lucky we had a small tail wind. Stayed with Pascal’s grand-parents overnight. Decided to do a short “car portage” for the rest of rivière des Prairies.
  • April 28th: Tried to launch in Lac de Deux Montagnes but with 50 km/h wind gusts and very choppy water had to return after an hour. Took a rest day at Pascal’s grand-parents.
  • April 29th: 21 km. Launched at Club De Yacht Laval-Sur-Le-Lac at 5:45 a.m. to avoid winds. Stopped at Oka due to strong head winds and very choppy water.
  • April 30th: 46 km. Portaged around dam at Carillon and stopped in Grenville.
  • May 1st: 51 km. Just east of Rockland. Biggest day yet! Difficult to find dry land for a tent so we got permission to camp in a tool shed for the night.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s